AAMC Section bank: B/B Question 17 discrete

lotus0618

AAMC Section bank: B/B Question 17 discrete

Post by lotus0618 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:59 pm

I know there are many posts in regards to this question but I have specific questions regarding this question:
1) I know what the palindromic sequences are, but how are you supposed to detect them under a time constraint? This question is very time-consuming for me.
2) So it seems to me that the southern blotting can only detect the point mutation if the point mutation is in the palindromic sequences. Why is that?
3) If the point mutation were not in the palindromic sequence in RNA, can the Nothern blotting be used to detect the point mutation?
4) How am I supposed to know that the q asks for the palindromic sequences here?
NS_Tutor_Yuqi

Re: AAMC Section bank: B/B Question 17 discrete

Post by NS_Tutor_Yuqi » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:13 pm

1. This should just come with more time and with doing more practice problems. You can also practice writing out palindromic sequences yourself to familiarize yourself with them.
2. This is because Southern blots use restriction enzymes, which recognize palindromic sequences. Since the mutation is disrupting this sequence, the enzyme can no longer recognize it.
3. Without the mutation, the palindromic sequence would still be there, so the restriction enzyme would be able to recognize it. Therefore, it wouldn't be able to identify the mutation
4. You should automatically associate Southern blots with restriction enzymes, and restriction enzymes with palindromic sequences.