Section bank C/P: how to avoid this mistake ?

lotus0618

Section bank C/P: how to avoid this mistake ?

Post by lotus0618 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:19 pm

SEction bank C/P
Question 23: How can I prevent myself from making this type of mistake? I chose A because I missed the clue at the end of the passage "Compound 2 formed new liposomes with an average size expected for the effective final lipid concentration." I was only attentive and conscious of the fact that compound 2 yields the same graph as compound 1. The "average size" clue doesn't stand out either. How can I work on this skill?
NS_Tutor_Nancy

Re: Section bank C/P: how to avoid this mistake ?

Post by NS_Tutor_Nancy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am

Hey!

As far as this specific passage, since you didn't specify the number of the section test, knowing it is question #23 is not enough to help me find it in the materials, so I cannot speak to the particular passage.

However, I can give you some general tips on staying focused. Oftentimes people are trying to get through the passage so fast because of the time crunch that words fly by and their meaning doesn't fully register. To try to maximize your time while also reading effectively, at the end of each paragraph try stopping and just in your head say a short summarizing sentence to yourself. For example "Ok so they set up an experiment to compare two different compounds and test their X ability" then keep reading and continue to do this after each paragraph. The little mental check-in can help to read actively and avoid missing important details. It can also help you remember where information is in the passage.

I hope this helps!
lotus0618

Post by lotus0618 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:19 am

It's passage 3. Can you please take a look at it for me?
NS_Tutor_Yuqi

Post by NS_Tutor_Yuqi » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Hey! A general rule is that when you see information that's necessary for answering the question, make sure to read all the surrounding information too. The line about compound 2 yielding similar results as Compound 1 is at the beginning of a paragraph, and a quick skim shows that Compound 2 is mentioned two more times later on in the paragraph. Therefore, in order to gather all the info you need, it's best to read those sentences too to make sure that you're not leaving anything out.
Another thing is that the question mentions mixing two volumes, which is something that we presumably had not read about before. Therefore, it's good to go search through the passage to find where it talks about mixing.