AAMC FL 2-PSYCH/SOCH Section Questions/Doubts

svpatel

AAMC FL 2-PSYCH/SOCH Section Questions/Doubts

Post by svpatel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:20 pm

10. How do I break this Q down in simpler terms to find the correct ans? Also I don't get why A is correct. The ans description is confusing.

18. Isn't dissonance when you have an opposing belief and action. so here you will take longer to respond if you think being obese is not good but act in a way to show that is good? that would be dissonance I thought but its not. Also why is schema the ans? Bc isn't schema is just all of the knowledge about a particular thing eg basketball-schema will have everything you know abt it.

20.I get that the best ans is social desirability. But why does selection bias not apply here? is it bc it is not bias to want to make the experiment better by avoiding traps such as getting ans that are socially acceptable but not really you views on the topic?

24. Where should I look for in the NS course content to learn the most impt stuff about drugs and things mentioned in the ans choices here?

36. How do I break this Q down in simpler terms to find the correct ans? This was a tough passage to understand too. I picked C but ans was B. Idk why.

45. Why is it not Analytical(relating to or using analysis or logical reasoning)? YOu could be logically thinking and be like I shouldn't go out and play vid games and study for MCAT to get into med school next year?

54. Why is it not A? A functionalist says that everything in society serves a function and is interconnected. That fits with A.
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: AAMC FL 2-PSYCH/SOCH Section Questions/Doubts

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 pm

#10:
This is just about recalling what a source monitoring error is. Namely, recalling a piece of information but either not recalling the source or not recalling the source correctly. Essentially, if you see 3 spellings of Benedict Cumberbatch's name and were convinced you chose the correct one - you may actually be recalling a popular misspelling. Or if you feel you know about a particular biological process, but actually read about it in a layman's publication rather than a journal - but are convinced as if you'd read a paper on it. Those sorts of things.

This question just says that people were first introduced to a bunch of fake names. Then, a day later, they were given a list full of fake names and real celebrity names. Some of the fake names were new, some of the fake names they had already seen. They are then asked to point out which names are real. What is probably going to happen if the participants make mostly source monitoring errors?

And you would want to recognize that people will usually identify primarily real celebrities, followed by fake names that they had been introduced to earlier, and least frequently identify fake names they've never seen before.

#18.
You're not entirely wrong, in that in extreme cases, there may be dissonance between what a participant might instinctively reply versus consciously. But in general, mental schemas are what is being tested on the IAT. The mental representations people. Readily available schemas will lead to low response times, less readily available ones to longer ones.

#20.
Because it is only asking you what the final sentence of paragraph 2 describes - which talks about the quality of responses, not the quality of sampling.

#24.
I will get back to you on that, I am not 100% that the current course has a detailed drug & psychoactive substance section.

#36.
This is just asking what you can conclude from those two studies, assuming they are methodologically sound (and they are presented as such). One study tested only light vs dark and only in 3-4 month olds, the other had two age groups (3-4 and 6-7 month olds) and tested shapes instead of colors. The second study found no preference for novel or familiar shapes in the younger group, but a preference for novel shapes in the older group. Since they do not contradict each other, we can safely say that human cognition seems to develop over time and is not fixed.

#45.
Analytical in the term of long-term rewards would be the ability to maximize those rewards and chose those that bring additional benefits. Simply because one works for a long-term reward does not mean that long-term reward is worth anything. One may assume getting into medical school will make happiness, but for some people analytical thought has not gone into that assumption. Likewise, people will work long hours, sacrifice things that would have gotten them much more pleasure, make myopic and unpleasant decisions, all in the name of a delayed reward.

Just because it is hard to do so, does not mean it is worthwhile. However, cultivating the ability to delay gratification is within the MCAT-relevant definition of emotional intelligence.

The obverse case is also possible: One may have the analytical faculties to decide what brings one the best outcome, but lack the emotional control to act on it.

#54.
Because functionalism includes the concepts of latent versus manifest function. Ceasing smoking is very much not a manifest function of yoga (we have documentation on the history of yoga, and 'stop smoking' does not appear to be among its founding principles).

Answer choice D describes the concept of a latent function. A describes either a central route persuasion model or another cognitive theoretical approach to why yoga is beneficial, not the functionalist perspective that some things are useful (and serve a function) by accident (concept of a latent function).

I wouldn't worry about this distinction overly much, this portion of P/S can be ill-defined. It is purely a matter of familiarity with the AAMC content outline and P/S terms, and not one of deeper reasoning.