AAMC Section bank: P/S questions.

lotus0618

AAMC Section bank: P/S questions.

Post by lotus0618 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:01 pm

-QUESTION 2: If verbal inputs are heard in the left ear, they are sent to the right hemisphere. If verbal inputs are heard in the right ear, they are sent to the left hemisphere. Both of these then go to the left hemisphere for the language areas to process.

My question: If what you hear is not verbal input but just random noises, would the sound eventually be processed by the language area in the left hemisphere? or they stop at the auditory cortex on the opposite sides.

-question 24:
A) what is the principle ?
B) the common fate
C) I know it’s another gestalt principle, but I’m not sure which one it is. Maybe proximity?
D) I thought this one is closure? Cause you have to fill in the blank
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: AAMC Section bank: P/S questions.

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:48 pm

#2:
All auditory processing happens in the left temporal lobe. Other left hemispheric regions (almost exclusively also in the left temporal lobe) then do language processing on top of that. So crossing over should not depend on the nature of the stimulus. My best guess is that the language centers also handle determining whether something is language or not.

#24:
A) Proximity
B) Symmetry / good figure
C) Closure
D) Similarity
lotus0618

Post by lotus0618 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:13 pm

2) Wait what? I'm sure I must misunderstand what you said. Hearing is contralateral, so if we hear things from the left field, our right temporal lobe will process it. What do you mean by all auditory processing happens in the left temporal lobe? do you mean that all sound, any types of noises will eventually be processed by left hemisphere? I thought only language is processed by left hemisphere.

27) I meant question 27, not 24. Are these answers to the question 27?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:49 am

#24:
Sorry, I thought you meant gestalt principles in the figure. Question 24 asks about one of the drawings in the figure.

#27:
D this is not a gestalt principle. You are not using visual similarities and the automatic mental processes that group visual cues into a coherent image - you are instead interpreting symbols, and using prior knowledge of symbols to fill in a blank. Closure in a case like this would only be true if perhaps you only saw ONE character and parts of the character were obscured - like an "a" with part of the handle missing. But filling in the missing letter in "belli ose" to get "bellicose" is not a gestalt principle.

A is just proximity.

#2:
You are totally right. I typed before thinking even one bit. All language centers are in the left hemisphere (in most people), but auditory processing is indeed contralateral.

All they are saying is that there is a second (additional) crossing over for inputs from the left ear (Left -> Right (processing) -> Left (language recognition)). I find the reasoning to be pretty spotty (what prior knowledge tells us that any of this is prone to error in the first place?). To your original question: Recognizing something as language or not is probably also language processing.
lotus0618

Post by lotus0618 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:16 pm

#27:
Are my answers correct to B and C:
B: common fate
C: proximity?

your ex is spot on. Thank you

#2: oh wow, so I'm not sure if i"m going way too. much in depth. Say for instance, I hear someone screaming in my left field, the sound will be processed by my right temporal lobe. You are saying that this sound will then have to be processed by the left hemisphere for you to verbalize what sound it is. COrrect?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Yes, or for you to even recognize what is being said (which is probably what you meant to say by 'verbalize what sound it is'). So if someone is screaming to one side, first contralateral auditory processing occurs (with the colliculi responsible for a startle response) and you can locate the sound, determine volume and frequency and all those other physical characteristics, but only after processing in the left hemisphere's speech centers do you understand what has been said.