p.139 biology - distinction between reporter gene and antibiotic resistance gene

mcatacct1

p.139 biology - distinction between reporter gene and antibiotic resistance gene

Post by mcatacct1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:15 am

There's a table that includes these separately as key features of a plasmid. I thought they were the same, or at least, an ampR gene could be considered a reporter gene.

A reporter gene is defined on the previous page as coding "for a product leading to an obvious phenotypical change and contains recognition sites for the RE that are used in the restriction".

So I took the "phenotype" requirement to mean anything that would lead to a detectable change in physical appearance (i.e. dead/not dead), and a "recognition site for the RE" was required so they could insert it into the plasmid. Am I misunderstanding this?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: p.139 biology - distinction between reporter gene and antibiotic resistance gene

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Your understanding is correct, but you're forgetting that one category is more inclusive than the other.

Anything that leads to a detectable phenotypic change is a reporter gene - this includes things like auxotrophy, fluorescence, quorum sensing and of course antibiotic resistance.

That in turn means that an antibiotic resistance gene is just one possible subtype of a reporter gene.