biochemistry p.34 - protease clarification

mcatacct1

biochemistry p.34 - protease clarification

Post by mcatacct1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:15 pm

The book discusses the serine protease mechanism specifically and gives the example of trypsin. It then gives the location of cut that pepsin performs. I just wanted to clarify the depth that we are expected to know these things...

1. Are we responsible for knowing classes of proteases, the cuts they make, or their rxn mechanisms?
2. Are there just specific proteases I am expected to know as common knowledge (e.g. I should know trypsin = serine protease)?
3. Or is it enough to know when I see "x protease" that means "x" is the amino acid that the protease uses at the active site to cleave the protein, and "protease" is just an enzyme that cuts a proteins primary structure?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: biochemistry p.34 - protease clarification

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:10 pm

The classes of enteric peptidases, the pH they are most active at and their names, yes. The exact cleavage location of each, most likely not - however, familiarity with these cannot hurt. Particularly knowing pepsin & trypsin in detail can turn out to be useful.

For #3, that is probably an incomplete understanding of peptide cleavage, but the spirit of recognizing key terms and what they signal is absolutely perfect for the MCAT - so you are on the right track!

Passages themselves will describe the use of several AAs in their catalytic site (famously the catalytic triad), and cleavage itself also occurs usually at a particular terminus of a given AA, which is a distinction you may be asked about. However, you are not expected to remember any specific niche instances and the whole mechanism involved - but to use the action of trypsin as a template for possible mechanisms given in a passage, and to combine your existing knowledge of the mechanism of proteolysis by trypsin as a base to understand a proteolytic mechanism described in a passage.
mcatacct1

Re: biochemistry p.34 - protease clarification

Post by mcatacct1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:09 am

Thanks so much!