How many full lengths is too many?

alliekerby

How many full lengths is too many?

Post by alliekerby » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:35 pm

I have been doing next step since the end of November preparing for an end of March MCAT. I have finished all of the content review books and now am mainly doing QBanks and practice passages. I have taken 3 NS FLs and am scheduled to take a couple more before starting AAMC but if I am getting the scores I want I didn't know if it would be more beneficial to focus more on specific sections rather than doing whole full lengths since I am happy with my timing and strategies for the whole test. Thanks
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: How many full lengths is too many?

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 am

When you start seeing passages in your dreams, that might be just about the right amount ;)

Honestly, you are the best judge of this. If you are getting very high scores already, and you feel you are just wasting your time - fantastic. Just make sure you set about 4-5 weeks aside for all the AAMC FLs with enough time to review. You can probably manage your motivation best and know the right schedule to keep all the content fresh until your test date!

If your score target is somewhere close to the median and you feel you're currently doing 'good enough', I would advise more targeted practice however. It is very difficult to predict a score near the median accurately, and I would never encourage somebody to get complacent in those ranges.

As far as doing sections goes, yes: I often recommend doing so over practicing entire FLs, as you'll get far more focused review on the subjects where such review may benefit you.