DNA techniques content video: restriction enzymes and DNA libraries quiz - Q4

mcatacct1

DNA techniques content video: restriction enzymes and DNA libraries quiz - Q4

Post by mcatacct1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Q: select all of the applications for which restriction enzymes are used.

I selected...

-Gene cloning via insertion of genes into plasmid vectors
-recognizing and cleaving foreign DNA

I did not include...

-Repairing DNA damage in small bacterial clones
-Distinguishing certain alleles by SNP recognition

The answer told me I'm incorrect, but I'm not understanding what specifically I failed to include or shouldn't have included. I also was unsure what a "SNP recognition" was. Could you tell me which answer choices were suppose to be included, and what a SNP recognition is if possible? Thank you for your time.
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: DNA techniques content video: restriction enzymes and DNA libraries quiz - Q4

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 pm

"SNP recognition" refers to sequencing portions of a person's genome to detect single nucleotide polymorphisms, a simple and common type of mutation. Through genome-wide assocation studies (GWAS) such polymorphisms have been linked to a variety of diseases. A smaller number of SNPs have stronger (sometimes experimental) evidence linking them to metabolic defects.

A common way of performing this analysis is through the use of restriction enzymes that may provide alternate fragments if a mutation is present (particularly when either the SNP or WT provide a binding site for a particular restriction enzyme), rather than performing a more cost and labor intensive form of sequencing.

Any answer choice in which a restriction enzymes were involved should be included, whether working in its normal biological role or as a repurposed tool in molecular biology.