FL Test Scores Comparison

ameerbasta13

FL Test Scores Comparison

Post by ameerbasta13 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Hello fellow MCATers,

I don't know if this is available from NS or not but I want to compare my FL practice exam scores with others to determine the difficulty of the exams. All the exams are not the same difficulty so I'd expect scores to change but by how much is my biggest concern. Past FL 2, my exam scores dropped almost consistently (just finished exam 8). I would like to know if this is a common trend or if I'm doing something wrong in studying. All my exam scores are available upon request.
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: FL Test Scores Comparison

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Later exams have had far fewer people take them due to them being sold separately and being available for a shorter period of time. This also impacts the reliability of the grading scale and (inevitably) increases variance, meaning even though we use the same method as the AAMC to calibrate our scale, for these exams a perfectly fair metric is impossible. There is probably also a strong bias in the student population that takes our later exams, making the curve itself more competitive.

I would not put too much stock into the grading scale of the later exams and concern myself primarily with your actual % correct and what the source of any of your errors was - reviewing FLs carefully is the source of most of their instructive value!
mjhurley23

Post by mjhurley23 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi there,

I was just wondering what is generally the consensus of take the NS FL tests vs the AAMC practice tests and for that matter the real thing. I know NS uses similar ways to generate questions for their practice tests, but I just wanted to know if I should expect maybe a score increase moving from the NS tests to AAMC or maybe its all the same. I have heard differing opinions on what to expect. Can't wait to hear what you think. Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:50 pm

My ability to accurately predict the future is a little limited, which is why I work for a living, but regardless: The closer to the mean your scores are, the more likely our scaling system is to predict your AAMC scores well. The further you are away from the mean, the more likely you are to see some degree of inconsistency - among other things due to the limits of sample sizes.

In my experience, people who used their NS FLs to refine their content knowledge and question-answering skills and held themselves to a strict standard (no googling the concept on the fly) tended to significantly overperform on AAMC material. But I still cannot make any guarantees ;)