LLJ vs Notes Journal

vic2019

LLJ vs Notes Journal

Post by vic2019 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Hello!

I have a silly question. I just wanted to know if there was any difference between the LLJ and a journal I use to take notes?
From my understanding, the LLJ is used for Practice Passages, Sectioned Practices, Discrete Questions, and Full Exams.
With that said, when I was reading the Lessons Textbook, I saw that in order to avoid passive learning, we should take notes by writing questions/fill-in-the-blanks like "Proline is a unique amino acid because__________." So I have been reading my Chem/O-Chem Textbook and taking notes using the same strategy in a journal separate from the LLJ.

Am I doing this correctly? Or am I supposed to be combining all my notes that I take from reading [and from watching videos] into my LLJ as well?

Thank You!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: LLJ vs Notes Journal

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:32 pm

I think you've correctly put together that for any note-taking system, the active component is important. If you have the time and inclination to write notes about your chemistry reading, all the better!

With any system, I would only recommend that you occasionally evaluate with yourself whether the process feels productive (did it feel to you like new insights were gained?) or whether there are other approaches you feel might yield more mental engagement. I don't know if you're currently working with a tutor - I always read through people's LLJs and have them explain to me (or depending, make a small writeup/sketch) areas where I found their notes left gaps or I suspect they may not have completely understood what they were writing.

In general, there is no right or wrong process, whatever format you can consistently engage with the material with is also the one most likely to bring you success.
vic2019

Re: LLJ vs Notes Journal

Post by vic2019 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Thank You!