verbal practice book page 287 question 17

sarita0518

verbal practice book page 287 question 17

Post by sarita0518 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 am

hi-

Can you please explain the answer to question 17? The solution says it is D, but I am confused as to why A cannot be a suitable answer?
I thought based on the passage, it seemed Pericles making a fake story would be an appropriate answer.

Please explain
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: verbal practice book page 287 question 17

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 am

Great question!

This is definitely a subtle one, but I'll try to explain. Essentially, we're looking for an example in the text to help us figure out how Pericles would respond when a damaging fact/story/event is presented. Since we're also talking about a debate, we may look for specific examples of Pericles' response to situations in debates where he may not be winning. Paragraph 3 is a good place to look: Thucydides talks about debating Pericles and says he basically can't win! Thucydides says "'When I throw him in wrestling, he beats me by proving that he never was down, and making the spectators believe him.'" In other words, if Thucydides does defeat Pericles, Pericles is still able to convince the onlookers that he wasn't defeated at all!

Thus, when challenged, it appears that Pericles can convince an audience that the challenge isn't true at all. Option A is a distortion, since it's not really that Pericles makes up another story to undermine the credibility of his opponent. In reality, it's more the credibility of the claim that the opponent made that Pericles is able to undermine. Convincing the crowd that he didn't commit the crime is analogous to convincing the spectators that Thucydides didn't throw him (even though he may have!) in a wrestling match.

I hope this helps and good luck!
sarita0518

Re: verbal practice book page 287 question 17

Post by sarita0518 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:52 pm

thanks so much!