AAMC CARS Vol. 1 (Q74 - Passage 12, Q4)

931287m

AAMC CARS Vol. 1 (Q74 - Passage 12, Q4)

Post by 931287m » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Hello!

I got this question right because I was able to eliminate (i), but I don't get what the explanation is saying as reasoning for why (iii) is correct. Why did Bertha’s imprisonment in the upper reaches of Thornfield function for Charlotte Brontë primarily as a plot device? It talks about the element that must be eliminated in order for Rochester and Jane to complete their destiny together, etc., etc.

Thank you!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: AAMC CARS Vol. 1 (Q74 - Passage 12, Q4)

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks for the question!

I think with this one, it's really in the way that Bertha is described that gives us hints about the character's function in the novel. Charlotte Brontë describes Bertha as "madwoman in the attic" and the author argues that, for Brontë's novel, Bertha is an "element that must be eliminated in order for Rochester and Jane to complete their destiny together." From this second part alone, we can determine that the point of Bertha's character is less focused on Bertha and more focused on her role in another story (both Jane's and the novel's as a whole).

Further, the author states that Brontë's version of Bertha represents "a threat to foreground order and stability, a principle of chaos, in fact." This further indicates that Bertha is acting as a plot device (because the point of her character is to function in the plot/move the plot forward).

I hope this helps!
931287m

Re: AAMC CARS Vol. 1 (Q74 - Passage 12, Q4)

Post by 931287m » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:41 pm

That makes a lot more sense.

Thank you!