MCAT Test Date (DO) medical school timeline

Tanphoteric

MCAT Test Date (DO) medical school timeline

Post by Tanphoteric » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Hello,

I plan on taking the MCAT on June 29th. But, I feel somewhat inadequate in my prepping. My first NS FL was a 498 (126/123/123/126) and I am about to take my 2nd exam in 5 days. The problem is that I need at-least a 508 due to having a somewhat lower gpa (3.3).

I have been seriously contemplating about taking the test on July 20th but, have heard that this could seriously hinder my chances of getting in! I am only applying to osteopathic (DO) medical schools and I have heard that their timeline is a little more lenient.

I still have 13 chapters left on content review and plan on taking a test each week leading up to my exam date. I am using Khan Academy videos (2 daily), NS content review videos (2 daily), NS Qbank (2 daily), and one page of the AAMC official guideline to make sure that I am at-least familiar with everything. This is my third time taking the MCAT and I need it to be the last! I would appreciate any insight that you may have.

Thank you,
Tanner
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: MCAT Test Date (DO) medical school timeline

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:03 am

Hi Tanner,

Thanks for the question! I'm not a pre-med advisor, so I would encourage you to reach out to someone with more expertise in that area, but I can offer some thoughts.

The advice that most people tend to offer is to apply as early in the cycle as you can and to put together the best application you can. Balancing those two components isn't always easy, but starting early will give you the best chance to do so. I don't know as much about DO admissions, because I only applied MD, but I imagine the principles are similar. It's not that you can't be admitted by applying late (deadlines are deadlines for a reason!), but it just might be slightly harder.

As far as MCAT prep goes, if you were testing this week or next week or something desperately soon, I'd be more worried about your practice test scores. Consider this: if you were already hitting your goal score, you should be taking the test ASAP!!! Since you still have over two months before your test date, it's not surprising that you haven't hit your goal. I know it's hard, but try to trust the process and keep making improvements. There is plenty of time for you to hit your goal score. If your test is around the corner and you're nearing a "gold deadline" and want to push back, then that's something to consider, but at this time you have plenty of flexibility.

As far as the videos/content review goes, I'd encourage you to finish up the broad content review ASAP and to dive into more targeted areas of weakness. Videos can be a great resource for targeted content review, but instead of doing two arbitrarily a day, I'd choose whichever are most relevant to the topics you want to work on and work through those actively. Make sure you're doing practice problems and careful review, as well, for each of the content weaknesses that you identify during FL/practice review.

I hope this is helpful and good luck!
Tanphoteric

Post by Tanphoteric » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:28 am

Dear NS Tutor Will,

Thank you so much! Is there any way that I could show you my google calendar study schedule and see if it makes sense?

Thank you,
Tanner
NS_Tutor_Will

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Sure, I can take a quick look!
Tanphoteric

Post by Tanphoteric » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Awesome, what is your email?
NS_Tutor_Will

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 pm

You can email me at [redacted] -- sorry, should have mentioned that before!