NS FL4 B/B23

dtufano

NS FL4 B/B23

Post by dtufano » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:04 pm

I understand that the bacterium essentially hides inside the germ cells of the parasite and is therefore not recognized by the immune system. Using this same logic, how does the antibiotic then work in targeting the bacteria? Are we supposed to assume that the antibiotic recognizes that the parasite is infected, which I don't think would be the case, or that the bacteria leaves the parasite at some point? I'm not sure if I'm missing a clear concept here or if I'm just overthinking. Thanks in advance!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: NS FL4 B/B23

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks for the question!

We aren't really supposed to know the mechanism of antibiotics for the MCAT, which means we need to lean on the passage information they give and the data they show to determine how it's likely to work (if it's even relevant to a question). My guess is that the antibiotic, if it's going to be effective, is going to need to be able to get into the parasite in order to have its effect on the prokaryotic ribosome. If it's a small, nonpolar molecule that can diffuse wherever it pleases, this may actually be more possible than we might think! In any event, it's most definitely outside of the scope of what you are expected to know for the MCAT.

I hope this helps!