NS FL3 P/S Q13

NS_Tutor_Thomas

NS FL3 P/S Q13

Post by NS_Tutor_Thomas » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:20 pm

A student recently wrote us: "According to your answer it is saying which group is most likely to have experienced one year of poverty. The table and graph you guys provide are conflicting. The table has opposite data of that then the graph. In fact, I didn't even look at the graph while doing this question since I assumed the age table is what I needed to see which provided the data necessary to answer this question."

This is a tricky question that students often have difficulty in answering correctly. For this question it important to recognize that the graph in figure 1 cumulative risk is represented and table 1 shows immediate risk. A 30 year old woman that has never married has a more immediate risk of experiencing one year of poverty. On the other hand, a 60 year old woman that has never married has a higher probability of experiencing one year of poverty at some point in her life. The probability that someone has experienced at some point in his or her life is the cumulative risk. If one carefully reads the question stem, the question is asking about past experience of poverty and not poverty right now. Therefore, to answer this question correctly one needs to look at the cumulative risk represented in figure 1 and then the odds ratios for different life factors.

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps!