NS FL3 C/P Q41

NS_Tutor_Thomas

NS FL3 C/P Q41

Post by NS_Tutor_Thomas » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 am

A student recently wrote us: "The explanation in this question needs to be updated. The challenge of this question is not merely using Ohm's Law (V=IR), it is dealing with the .01 seconds the charge is delivered for. Amps are measured in Coulombs/Second. But the charge is not delivered for a full second so I reasoned the full 25 C/S could not be delivered. I too initially obtained 25 amps, but when accounting for the .01 s the current was delivered, I reasoned the answer should be less than 25 amps as there was not a full 1 second for 25 C to be delivered. If this is not correct, the explanations need to explain WHY as the .01 s was part of the question stem and apparently threw me off from an easy correct answer."

The 0.01 seconds in the question is a red herring. The question is asking for Amps and not Coulombs. If we were looking for the Coulombs, your reasoning could work to answer a question asking for that parameter. However, since the question is asking about current(AMPs), the fact the voltage was delivered over the course of 0.01s has no relevance to what our answer will be.

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps!