CARS logic reasoning and beyond the text questions

shaun.deveshwar

CARS logic reasoning and beyond the text questions

Post by shaun.deveshwar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Not necessarily with Next Step Materials, but with the AAMC materials I have found myself making mistakes primarily with the reasoning beyond the text questions with arguments and particularly the logical inferences for some reason. I understand the logic and the arguments but find myself getting stumped by the second best answer choice that seems correct, but is not necessarily the right answer. Could this perhaps be because the other ones are too specific? Do you have any recommendations for how to improve this and are there certain tricks and ideas that we should be looking for? Thank you for your help.

- Shaun
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: CARS logic reasoning and beyond the text questions

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:47 am

Hi Shaun —

So you are definitely on the right track with AAMC CARS with the type of reflecting that you are doing. Unfortunately, I don’t think there are really foolproof “tips or tricks“ that will always be relevant. Sure, there are times when the wrong answers might be too specific, but there could also be times where the wrong answers are too broad or vague! Certainly, extreme answers are ones you should always be wary of. Beyond that, though, there aren’t any steadfast, consistent rules to follow.

To improve, the best thing you can do is to continue reflecting like you did in asking this question. Notice what patterns you see and learn from those. What are your tendencies? Are you often drawn in by the more specific answers or the broader ones? What can you learn about how the AAMC typically reasons through questions (or wants you to reason through them)? Practicing passages and then carefully and deeply reviewing them is the best way to improve.

I’m still looking for the “holy grail” of CARS tips and tricks and I’m more and more convinced that they don’t exist! The best thing to do is develop a strategy that works for you, to practice a lot, and to review really carefully.

Good luck!