free fall, drag, g force

shaun.deveshwar

free fall, drag, g force

Post by shaun.deveshwar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 am

I have a question in regards to free fall drag and g force. I know that free fall is when gravity is the only force acting upon on object, but how does this relate to the concept of drag and g force too. Is this related to how the non-zero gravity plane simulates the idea of no gravity by eliminating the force of the ground pushing up onto its passenger and then that simulates a zero gravity environment?
I know that some of this might be beyond the scope of the MCAT, but also what specifically from these concepts should be quite familiar with for the test? Thank you.

- Shaun
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: free fall, drag, g force

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 am

Drag (and most non-conservative forces besides friction) are typically out of scope for the MCAT. Free fall is relevant insofar as kinematics equations go (think calculating how far a projectile would travel, for example). You should definitely be comfortable drawing free body diagrams, as well. Free fall, like you said, is when only gravity is acting. You can think of free fall as being the absence of a countering force (no normal force). Zero-G planes are definitely beyond scope of what you’d need to know for outside knowledge, but yes if an entire plane was in free fall, then you’d experience no acceleration. Drag would be a countering force to gravity, but like I said, most non-conservative forces are typically assumed to be zero for MCAT physics purposes (unless specifically stated otherwise).

Hope this helps!