Practice Problems

Ccart103

Practice Problems

Post by Ccart103 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello,

I have a question about practice problems. I am a non-traditional student and took beginning physics and chemistry several years ago. The content review for these topics has been especially arduous for me. I have spent a lot of time reading through each chapter and then seem to be completely lost when it comes to the end of chapter practice passages/independent questions. Is there a resource for practice problems for specific topics throughout the chapter? I feel like I need more practice with applying equations especially as I am reading through the content before I even get to the practice passages. Let me know if anyone has had this same experience or if there is a resource I could use for more practice!

Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: Practice Problems

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks for the question! I am a non-trad myself and definitely had to adjust to get back into the swing of things, particularly in chemistry!

Those end of chapter questions can definitely be tricky, especially because they sometimes draw on topics that will appear later in the books. Be sure to go back and look them over again once you've gotten all the way through your initial content review.

As for extra practice, I'd advise two things. The first is the NS QBanks that you'll find on the MCAT dashboard. These are arranged by subject area and you can choose which topics you think you need the most practice in. They are a great way to get extra practice discrete and passage questions. The other thing you can try is searching through the Khan Academy for particular topics that you want to focus on. I find their review videos to be helpful and they also have tons of passages and discrete questions that you can find by searching for a given topic. A google search for "MCAT practice" + the subject area you're looking for extra practice in also might be helpful, particularly if you stumble on threads where past students have suggested resources that were helpful to them in a given topic.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your prep!
Ccart103

Re: Practice Problems

Post by Ccart103 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:17 am

Yes thank you for your suggestion! I've looked at Kahn Academy a bit, but mainly at videos that were posted on aamc. Those videos had some practice problems, but were a bit time consuming. I'll try looking for more discrete questions with KA and at the Qbanks on the dashboard. Thanks again!