FL 1

akziq

FL 1

Post by akziq » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:57 pm

I am having a hard time understanding these questions from my FL # 1

Chem/Phys
Ques # 48 I dot understand the column titles in table 1. Can someone help me interpret the data given?
Ques # 51 Why are we supposed to assume that a + value of RSE means that the group is destabilizing? is that information given or is this something were supposed to know?

Bio/Biochem
Ques # 33 i dont understand this question or the answer choices.

Psych/Socio
Ques # 35 I dont understand this question. What does the explanation mean by criterion validity and what is "A critique of the construct validity"
Ques # 37 I don't get the answer
Ques #43 In the explanation, why could A be true?

Thank you for your time in advance :)
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: FL 1

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:45 am

Hi!

I will try to address your questions, but without knowing exactly what was tricky about some of them, my explanations might not get at the difficulties you were having. Feel free to post follow up questions if you need to!

C/P:
Q48 & Q51: There are a few posts covering this tricky passage on the forum. I'll put a link for one, but if you search Q49, Q48, Q51, or "RSE" you'll find some in depth explanations. http://forum-mcat.nextsteptestprep.com/ ... 912a#p3832

B/B
Q33: This question is basically asking what the differences are between mitosis and meiosis. It's couched in typically tricky language (don't expect them to ask stuff straightforwardly!), but, in asking about differences between growth in cytoplasmic organelle disease (cytoplasmic division / mitosis) and genetic transmission (meiosis). The explanation and answer choices should make more sense with this in mind!

P/S
Q35: Construct validity refers to how well the test that we're using to measure a given variable actually measures that variable. Thus, if we used a tool or a test that didn't accurately assess a variable, we'd have little construct validity. A critique of the construct validity would assert that the variable that the researchers are using doesn't measure what they are attempting to measure. Criterion validity refers to the degree to which a variable can predict a later outcome. In other words, is there something we can measure at the beginning that will give us a good idea of some final performance or state in the subject?

Q37: The basic idea here is that if race was only based on social class, then we should see races divided strictly into classes. We wouldn't see members of the same race in different social classes. Because we do see members of different races in different social classes, the person with biologically-based views would point that out as favoring their assessment.

Q43: A could be true because it is possible that there could be some confounding variable that wasn't discussed. (A confounding variable influences both the independent and dependent variables.) In this case, D gets more at the actual methods being used by the researcher and the limitations that go along with it.

Hope this helps and good luck!
akziq

Re: FL 1

Post by akziq » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Just got a chance to read this! Thank you I appreciate your help :)