Advice

graycs

Advice

Postby graycs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:26 am

Hey! I’m just finished FL#3 and I’ve finished my course. I’m stuck at 500 and trying to figure out how to move forward from here. I’m doing my LLJ, but just feel frustrated with small mistakes and my CARS section. What advice do you have moving forward? Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Re: Advice

Postby NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 pm

graycs wrote:Hey! I’m just finished FL#3 and I’ve finished my course. I’m stuck at 500 and trying to figure out how to move forward from here. I’m doing my LLJ, but just feel frustrated with small mistakes and my CARS section. What advice do you have moving forward? Thanks!

Well, there's no easy, obvious answer. My general advice would be to try to identify specific mistakes you're making, and then change the way you take the test next time. It can be easy to take away broad lessons (e.g. "I got this question wrong because I didn't read carefully, so my lesson is that I need to read more carefully"), but those generally aren't very helpful. Specific takeaways ("I got this question wrong because there was a specific word in the answer stem that I didn't consider, so my lesson is that I need to make an active effort to consider each word and component of the answer choices") tend to be more helpful. Meeting one on one with a Next Step tutor can be another approach that often helps students break past those plateaus.

I hope that helps!

-Kate
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com
graycs

Re: Advice

Postby graycs » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks! I will for sure do that. It is very easy to say it was a missed opportunity when I misread something, but that is more helpful and diagnostic than a general view of why I missed a question. I'll go to office hours and ask some questions. Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion & FAQ”