FL4 B/B #30

erichsuh94

FL4 B/B #30

Post by erichsuh94 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 pm

For this question, I do understand why B is correct, but I have a question about what being "sequestered" means as in choice C.

I do know that steroid hormones diffuse into the nucleus and bind directly to the DNA and affect transcription level.

Thus, I took the meaning of being "sequestered" as such.

Apparently, this isn't the case.

Please help!

Thank you!
Last edited by erichsuh94 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS_Tutor_Alex

Re: FL4 C/P #30

Post by NS_Tutor_Alex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi ericsuh94,

Thank you for the question. Just a point of clarification, this question comes from the biology/biochemistry section from FL #4, not C/P correct? I think the key to this question is to be very clear about what sequestration means. It's most useful to think of it as taking something and isolating it or hiding it away, in this case it would be the nucleus. As a steroid hormone, testosterone can diffuse through membrane organelles and thus cannot be "confined" or "isolated" in any of those membrane bound organelles.

Hope that helps!

Alex.
erichsuh94

Re: FL4 C/P #30

Post by erichsuh94 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Thank you for such a prompt response.
Yes the question is from B/B- I will edit the title if the system allows me to.

I still am bit puzzled what that would mean in this case.

"is sequestered in the nucleus, where it regulates genes associated w/ secondary sex characteristics"

"is isolated in the nucleus, where it regulates genes associated w/ secondary sex characteristics"

I can imagine this being something like being engulfed in the nucleus?

Regardless, I suppose the fact that vocabulary here does not make clear sense is the very indication that it isn't the correct answer.

Thank you!
NS_Tutor_Alex

Re: FL4 B/B #30

Post by NS_Tutor_Alex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 pm

This certainly falls into the category of vocabulary, which is pretty reasonable as sequestration is not an everyday term. The situation of a peptide hormone may help: if a polypeptide hormone is synthesized when the circulating concentration of that hormone is sufficient, then it can be sequestered (think isolated...almost like being trapped) in a membrane vesicle or organelle because peptides can't traverse a membrane due to their hydrophilicity. It can then be released to perform it's function when the circulating concentration of the peptide starts to drop for whatever reason.

I hope that clears that one up!

Alex