Opinions on this score

Sam_S

Opinions on this score

Post by Sam_S » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi,

I am still struggling to keep up with my PCAT prep with my two jobs and life. I went ahead to proceeded to take FL 3 to assess my current progress and I plan to catch up on studying. I am 3 and a half weeks until I take the real thing. I was excited to see my composite score at a 443, not so excited about my Biology score. I will definitely focus on Bio/Quantitative in the next few weeks. Overall, what do you make of this score? I am a little past halfway to the finish-line.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 1.57.34 PM.png
(145.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
NS_Tutor_Sophia

Re: Opinions on this score

Post by NS_Tutor_Sophia » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:28 am

Hi Sam_S, that's a good question. First of all, congrats on your composite score! In general, your percentile rankings are better indicators than are your scaled scores, and the reason for this is that a 400 on one PCAT might be one percentile, and a 400 on another PCAT might be a completely different percentile based on how all test takers performed. So you can use your percentile ranks to determine where you fall on the curve - if your score is 70th percentile, for example, that means you did better than 70 percent of all test-takers on that test version.

For Biology and Quantitative Reasoning, I recommend checking out the QBanks on these subjects (under the Resources tab), which are further segmented into their subtopics so you can focus on one area at a time. You're also welcome to join us in Office Hours to work through Biology and QR problems, and bring any questions you might have about your PCAT. I hope this helps! :)
Sophia Stone
PCAT Content Manager
Next Step Test Prep
Sam_S

Post by Sam_S » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 am

NS_Tutor_Sophia wrote:Hi Sam_S, that's a good question. First of all, congrats on your composite score! In general, your percentile rankings are better indicators than are your scaled scores, and the reason for this is that a 400 on one PCAT might be one percentile, and a 400 on another PCAT might be a completely different percentile based on how all test takers performed. So you can use your percentile ranks to determine where you fall on the curve - if your score is 70th percentile, for example, that means you did better than 70 percent of all test-takers on that test version.

For Biology and Quantitative Reasoning, I recommend checking out the QBanks on these subjects (under the Resources tab), which are further segmented into their subtopics so you can focus on one area at a time. You're also welcome to join us in Office Hours to work through Biology and QR problems, and bring any questions you might have about your PCAT. I hope this helps! :)
Thank you for the quick response.

Is there a way to check my percentile score? After completeting the test it showed the scaled scores and a score of 99%, but that's what I am having trouble believing, especially with Biology and QR being only at 400. I could not find a place to see the 99% again.
NS_Tutor_Sophia

Post by NS_Tutor_Sophia » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am

You can access your scores with percentile rankings by navigating to the Resources tab and then selecting the resource for which you received this score (for example, Full Length Exam 3, Attempt 1), and that will give you a complete score breakdown.

If you have any trouble accessing your scores, please don't hesitate to email us at pcat@nextsteptestprep.com, and we'll be happy to assist.
Sophia Stone
PCAT Content Manager
Next Step Test Prep
Sam_S

Post by Sam_S » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:26 am

NS_Tutor_Sophia wrote:You can access your scores with percentile rankings by navigating to the Resources tab and then selecting the resource for which you received this score (for example, Full Length Exam 3, Attempt 1), and that will give you a complete score breakdown.

If you have any trouble accessing your scores, please don't hesitate to email us at pcat@nextsteptestprep.com, and we'll be happy to assist.
Thank you! I could not figure that one out, haha.
Sam_S

Post by Sam_S » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:10 pm

I managed to bring up some of my scores since the last time! I am excited about that. I am feeling better about taking the test in 2 days. I have one last question...I also took 2 Pearson exams and they base their percentile off of the "Core" questions, 40 in total. I am worried this will reflect my score differently. How does NextStep view the core questions versus the 8 additional questions? How would this change my score if I missed the core questions?

Also, I take the test in 2 days. Any last minute advice at this point? I think I will be focusing on flashcards in my free time.

NS_Tutor_Sophia

Post by NS_Tutor_Sophia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi Sam_S,

Good luck on your upcoming PCAT! Flashcards are a great idea, and another thing to consider is reviewing the results of your Full-Length exams, looking for content areas that you might want to brush up on before your test. If you can, it can help to take a true rest day the day before your exam because feeling well-rested and mentally refreshed will do more for your score than a few more hours of studying.

Your question about "core" questions on Pearson exams is a good one. The multiple-choice sections on your PCAT exam each will have 48 questions total, but only 40 will be graded, and the remaining 8 "experimental" questions are not graded and do not count toward your score. However, you will have no way of knowing which questions are experimental items, as these are randomly distributed throughout the exam and don't appear any differently than graded questions do. In other words, you'll want to do your best on every single question - and just hope that the hard ones happen to be experimental! This means that if you missed all 8 experimental questions, that would have no impact on your score, whereas missing 8 "core" questions would count toward your score.

I hope this answers your question - and go rock your PCAT! :D
Sophia Stone
PCAT Content Manager
Next Step Test Prep
Sam_S

Post by Sam_S » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 pm

NS_Tutor_Sophia wrote:Hi Sam_S,

Good luck on your upcoming PCAT! Flashcards are a great idea, and another thing to consider is reviewing the results of your Full-Length exams, looking for content areas that you might want to brush up on before your test. If you can, it can help to take a true rest day the day before your exam because feeling well-rested and mentally refreshed will do more for your score than a few more hours of studying.

Your question about "core" questions on Pearson exams is a good one. The multiple-choice sections on your PCAT exam each will have 48 questions total, but only 40 will be graded, and the remaining 8 "experimental" questions are not graded and do not count toward your score. However, you will have no way of knowing which questions are experimental items, as these are randomly distributed throughout the exam and don't appear any differently than graded questions do. In other words, you'll want to do your best on every single question - and just hope that the hard ones happen to be experimental! This means that if you missed all 8 experimental questions, that would have no impact on your score, whereas missing 8 "core" questions would count toward your score.

I hope this answers your question - and go rock your PCAT! :D
Thank you for the additional insight, I really appreciate it!