Lesson 14 MCAT Practice Passage (pg 400-401)

ma986

Lesson 14 MCAT Practice Passage (pg 400-401)

Postby ma986 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Hello!

I was hoping that you could clarify #18.

We were given data that showed Joe "enjoy[ed] attending parties", and based on the question we had to choose whether the researchers were judging based on fundamental attribution error or availability heuristic.

I chose availability heuristic because I thought that the recent information based on the questionnaire allowed the researchers to conclude that Joe likes all types of social gatherings.

Can you explain to me the difference between fundamental attribution error and availability heuristic based on this passage/ question?

Thank you so much for your help!

Best,
Maria
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Re: Lesson 14 MCAT Practice Passage (pg 400-401)

Postby NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:36 pm

ma986 wrote:Hello!

I was hoping that you could clarify #18.

We were given data that showed Joe "enjoy[ed] attending parties", and based on the question we had to choose whether the researchers were judging based on fundamental attribution error or availability heuristic.

I chose availability heuristic because I thought that the recent information based on the questionnaire allowed the researchers to conclude that Joe likes all types of social gatherings.

Can you explain to me the difference between fundamental attribution error and availability heuristic based on this passage/ question?

Thank you so much for your help!

Best,
Maria

Hi Maria,

Could you please clarify what book or video you are referring to?
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com
ma986

Postby ma986 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi,

Its Lesson 14 in the MCAT Course Book Practice Passage (towards the end) on page 400-401
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Postby NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Thank you for clarifying. Please be sure to post questions about the books in the appropriate subforum.

The fundamental attribution error is when you assume that other people's actions are reflective of their internal values/beliefs/personality, instead of external, situational factors. The availability heuristic is when you base conclusions or thinking on the most readily available information. In the question you referenced, the researchers assumed that the reason Joe is likes parties is because he likes all social gatherings (an internal value), rather than because some external factor of parties specifically appeals to him. Let me know if that helps!

-Kate
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com
ma986

Postby ma986 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Hello again,

But wouldn't that judgement be based on the readily available information that was given to the researchers from their questionnaire? I thought that because of the input from the questionnaire is what made the researchers make that judgement. Which is why I thought it was an availability heuristic.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks!
Maria

Return to “Post your questions here about Next Step's MCAT books”