Biochemistry

MCAT_Retaker

Biochemistry

Post by MCAT_Retaker » Tue May 22, 2018 6:27 pm

What are the end products for the pentose phosphate pathway for the oxidative and non-oxidative phase? I'm a bit confused. I know ribose 5-phosphate and NADPH are the major end products. That's all I understand.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Biochemistry

Post by Administrator » Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am

Hey,

The main thing to remember about the pentose phosphate pathway is that in the oxidative phase it generates NADPH and ribulose-5-phosphate and in the non-oxidative phase it converts between various sugars (and can eventually make products that feed into glycolysis). The MCAT only ever seems to want to ask about the NADPH (eventually used in fatty acid elongation) and occasionally ribulose-5-phosphate (for making nucleic acids).
MCAT_Retaker

Post by MCAT_Retaker » Thu May 24, 2018 5:36 am

Thank you. From chapter 8 of the Biochem book (passage on GBM). Can you explain question 5 more thoroughly please.

some thoughts.

c. i thought the lactate eflux is inhibited
d. what does this mean. what is the extracellular envionrment in the tumor matrix

Is glycolytic metabolism associated with increased efflux?

also for question 4, how can you assume that lower afifnity implies or doesnt imply broader effect. For d, how do you know it will target when it has a greater flux?
MCAT_Retaker

Post by MCAT_Retaker » Mon May 28, 2018 1:26 am

Can you also explain chapter 9 passage. question 5. the question on AMPK1-triggered fat oxidation.

Thanks
MCAT_Retaker

Post by MCAT_Retaker » Mon May 28, 2018 6:14 am

Can you also elaborate a little on question 7 - passage from chapter 12.
Is it because if you look at the bottom right graph of figure 1, HD doesn't have a strong effect in the change in cell death? Teh explanation was a little confusing so wanted to make sure I understood it.

Can you also elaborate question 3 from the same passage.
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Post by NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:05 pm

MCAT_Retaker wrote:Can you also elaborate a little on question 7 - passage from chapter 12.
Is it because if you look at the bottom right graph of figure 1, HD doesn't have a strong effect in the change in cell death? Teh explanation was a little confusing so wanted to make sure I understood it.

Can you also elaborate question 3 from the same passage.
We see from the figure that cyanide has little effect on HD cells. Since we know that cyanide is an inhibitor of the electron transport chain, the most likely reason cyanide wouldn’t affect HD cells is if they have a reduced reliance on the electron transport chain (oxidative phosphorylation).

What clarification did you want on question 3?
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com