CARS help

emmab

CARS help

Postby emmab » Fri May 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi,

I'm feeling super overwhelmed about CARS - mostly because I honestly feel like I am getting worse at it even though I've been doing the daily 2 passages. It's been about 5 weeks and I can't nail down a strategy because I get similar mediocre results with all of them. I know I need to highlight, but note-taking isn't that effective. Any advice? Why am I getting worse!!

Emma
Kian

Re: CARS help

Postby Kian » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Have you been reviewing your passages?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: CARS help

Postby Administrator » Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 am

Hey there Emma,

I wish there was a simple solution here. Believe me, if there was, they would put it in the video course right up front at Lesson 2 in the CARS lesson. You've got to be willing to just keep trying different approaches and coming at the passages in different ways until you find something that really helps it click for you. And not just "oh I already tried highlighting but that doesn't work" but rather, try many different approaches to highlighting.

As an example, switch from highlighting the author's key ideas to maybe just highlighting the signpost words (words like however, yet, in addition, seems, etc.) to maybe just highlighting the dates/names.

I would very very strongly recommend you come to the CARS office hours so that you can ask your questions in real-time as you work through various CARS strategies with the teacher/group. We run them every week.

Good luck!

Return to “General Discussion & FAQ”