Spaced repetiton approach and Study Plan

jmartin

Spaced repetiton approach and Study Plan

Post by jmartin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:10 pm

I have been following the study plan but I'm falling behind. Since I've been incorporating the spaced repetition approach suggested at the beginning of each book, I can't seem to keep on track. As suggested skim chapter, go back read carefully. Then the next day re-skim, complete end of chapter questions and read all explanations. Take notes in LLJ. Sleep on it again, then come back 2 days later. How do you suggest I incorporate this technique in my study plan following the 40 hr per week study plan?
NS_Tutor_Andrew

Re: Spaced repetiton approach and Study Plan

Post by NS_Tutor_Andrew » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi jmartin,

You've hit the nail on the head in that incorporating spaced repetition at the optimal intervals can create a complicated schedule and routine. If it's getting to be too much to keep track of, one option would be to try to block out once- or twice-weekly dedicated review blocks, where you take a 3-4 hour chunk of time and focus on reviewing stuff from more or less ~2 days, ~2 weeks, and ~2 months ago (or anything where you feel like your knowledge may be slipping away). This might be combined with moving away from previewing chapters. So, for instance, if Chapter XYZ of Bio is scheduled for Tuesday, you read the chapter and answer the questions on Tuesday (even though it might theoretically be better to break it up over >1 days), and then you might have a dedicated review block on Friday where you revisit that material as well as other stuff you did that week.

Once you start taking more practice tests/practice materials, you'll find that those also effectively function as a form of spaced repetition in that they will test topics that you have reviewed before at various time points -- that's not as systematic, but can be quite helpful.

Hope this helps answer your question, and best of luck as you keep studying!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.
jmartin

Re: Spaced repetiton approach and Study Plan

Post by jmartin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Thank you so much! I will incorporate your suggestions in my study plan. This really helps a lot!