Retaking MCAT

graycs

Retaking MCAT

Postby graycs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Hello! I am seeking some advice on how to prepare to retake the MCAT. I had several secondaries in before my MCAT score was released and felt pretty disappointed when I received my score. It was too late to retest for this application cycle. I have decided to retake the MCAT in February in case I do not get interviewed or accepted this cycle. How should I approach retesting and going through the self-paced course again? I wish I could get all new books, but they are all filled with notes from the lessons. Thanks in advance for all your help!
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Retaking MCAT

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi graycs,

I'm sorry to hear that! Successfully retaking is a serious challenge but one that's doable.

I'd suggest doing the following two major things now (or in the near term). First, start refreshing your content. The AAMC guide to what's on the MCAT is a useful high-level guide. It's really surprising how much you can forget during the month between taking the MCAT and getting your scores back, so taking some steps to counteract that can help. Second, invest some time and energy into analyzing what happened on Test Day and what you can learn from it. A place to start might be by figuring out whether you ran into trouble because of known weaknesses (e.g., you knew that physics was a weak area and ran into some challenging physics passages on Test Day) or whether you were surprised by the breakdown of your results. The goal is for you to figure out whether you encountered problems on Test Day due to (1) content, (2) strategy, (3) execution [i.e., timing, nerves, fatigue, etc.], or some combination thereof.

Then, once you have an assessment of what happened, the next step is to develop a plan to address those issues. The details are going to depend on what exactly you need to target, but some possibilities might include re-reviewing content in more depth or with the goal of learning it more actively, focusing more intensely on passage-level and question-level strategy, and working on timing. You're also going to want to think about how to study -- what aspects of your previous preparation prepared you well, and what do you need to change? Some possibilities might include getting creative about learning some content areas more actively and re-assessing how you review practice materials to make sure you get the most out of them in terms of strategy. Again, though, the details will depend on your individual situation. Finally, once you have that plan worked out, it's time to put it into action.

As a last note, I'd definitely encourage you to reach out to us either through the forums or via office hours (open Q&A would be a great place for this) to talk about your individual reflections on what went well and what areas you need to improve on -- that would help us provide more individualized suggestions!

Best of luck & hang in there!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.
CatBoy

Re: Retaking MCAT

Postby CatBoy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Hey Graycs,
If MCAT is your only obstacle to getting into Medical School, then you have to give yourself time to study and master the material. Unfortunately no any other way. There are seven subjects and four sections on the MCAT, if you are excellent on four of seven you still have a chance to A's the MCAT. Fortunately, two sections of four that is; PSY and CARS are given away, study hard on those and then give yourself plenty of time to masters the sciences, read your review books at least three to four times spacing your reading of the same subjects by one to two weeks. I would say start with Psychology review book whichever you have, in fact, I would buy all three books Nextstep, Kaplan and Princeton read them all, and when you do, pay very close attention to the section on Learning and Memory it will help you to know yourself and how well you learn. trust me it works. I am taking my MCAT in March next year. GOOD LUCK

Return to “General Discussion & FAQ”