FAQ

ds07164

Re: FAQ

Postby ds07164 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am

I am currently taking the Express course. I am going through the course book, and often the warm ups and cool downs are not reviewed by the instructor. Where can I find the answers to these questions, possibly in the book or online? I checked the end of the book (appendix, etc.), but I was unsuccessful in locating the answers. Thanks in advance!
ds07164

Postby ds07164 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:28 pm

bump
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi ds07164,

As far as I know, all the cooldown problems in the express video sets include solutions -- please do let us know if there are some exceptions to this! However, not all of the warmup/cooldown problems were included in the express video sets, because the goal of the express videos was to streamline as much content as possible. If you want to review some of the other warmup/cooldown problems, the best place to go is the corresponding full lesson videos. For each set of lesson videos, you can click the dropdown box and select just the warmup or cooldown questions.

Hope this helps, & please let us know if you have other questions!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.
kim3

Postby kim3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew if we needed to memorize all of the solubility rules for the MCAT? Are they all fair game?
Thanks in advance!
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi kim3,

Thanks for the great question! This is a classic example of how there can be some ambiguity in the MCAT's expectations. The MCAT is extremely unlikely to ask you a question that just boils down to "which of the following four compounds is soluble/insoluble?", but it can certainly be useful to have some general expectations about which compounds are soluble. I'd suggest consulting a general source like this list, but focusing on general principles (like sulfates being soluble) and not losing sleep over little details like the fact that SrSO4 is an exception from this general rule. It's theoretically possible that a detail like that could come up, but VERY unlikely, and it's only worth investing energy in if you are literally running out of things to learn and practice. That said, you'll definitely want to make sure you understand Ksp quite well, as well as the overall process of solubility, which substances tend to be soluble in which solvents, etc.

Hope this helps, & feel free to follow-up with any other questions that you might have!
Andrew D.
MCAT_Retaker

Postby MCAT_Retaker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:04 am

What kind of homework do you need to be doing everyday? On the study plan, it seems like the only questions you do are the ones in the book?
I made my study plan to end of April when I plan to test for June.

And how many passages should you be doing for "homework" everyday? besides 2 CARS.

I've already gone through the content, but doing it again.

-From MCAT Retaker (more than 2 times;/, starting over is hard).
Last edited by MCAT_Retaker on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCAT_Retaker

Postby MCAT_Retaker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:28 am

How come for the intro quizes, the answer is not clearly displayed?

like what is the correct answr to this
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 1.40.41 AM.png
(59.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 am

Hi MCAT_Retaker,

I'm going to answer your questions in reverse order, because the second one has the quickest answer. For all of the quizzes embedded within the videos, there should be a "submit" button on the bottom left of the window, which you click to reveal the correct answer and explanation. I'm attaching a screenshot showing me put in the same answers that you did to the question and then what pops up after I click "submit". Let me know if that doesn't work, and we can investigate.

Re: the study plan, you should also be seeing some QBank assignments, which contain either discrete or passage-based questions linked to specific content areas, and can be thought of as a supplement to the end-of-chapter passages and questions in the books. In general, in terms of daily HW, we recommend following the schedule, including the optional assignments, although you're welcome to supplement with extra practice from the QBank, Section Exams, and/or Full Length exams if you have the time to invest in using those resources productively.

One thing jumped out at me, though -- you mentioned creating a schedule to run through the end of April with the goal of testing in June, but our schedules are designed to take you all the way through Test Day, so you'll see the AAMC exams in the last few weeks before the end of your schedule, as well as a greater overall focus on practice in the immediate run-up to the test. Before you get going for real, you may want to consider playing around with a few different versions of the schedule, including end dates in April as you described versus at your actual planned Test Day, to see how the various options look.

Hope this helps & best of luck!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 8.12.18 AM.png
After clicking "submit"
(132.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 8.12.00 AM.png
Answers put in
(90.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Andrew D.
MCAT_Retaker

Postby MCAT_Retaker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:09 pm

It does work. But the Incorrect answer only gives an explanation, not the answer. What is the answer? After reading the explanations, those three answers still seem right. What am I doing wrong?
And it would be easier for the answers to be clearly shown, because if you want to try again, you have to start the entire thing again?
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi MCAT_Retaker,

The two correct statements are "The Bohr model depicts electron movement in predictable, circular orbits" and "The Bohr model only accurately predicts the spectra of one-electron system", as shown in the attached screenshots. I definitely see what you're saying about the interface, though, although our goal is always to have explanations that clarify the underlying science. We often discuss how to make our interface the most seamless possible and we will definitely keep your points in mind when thinking about that interface in the future, so thank you for pointing that out!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 8.26.45 AM.png
(119.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 8.26.34 AM.png
(81.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Andrew D.

Return to “General Discussion & FAQ”