MCAT reschedule due to COVID-19 (04/24 to 07/07)

londrejka

MCAT reschedule due to COVID-19 (04/24 to 07/07)

Post by londrejka » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 pm

As the April exams were cancelled globally today, the soonest date I could schedule a test in my state was 07/07/2020. Now I have two additional months of prep time, however, I began my prep in November and was feeling ready to take the exam at the end of April. I'd like to use the next three months to boost my score, but I am concerned of burnout and not quite sure how to adjust my schedule. I tried changing my test date on the study plan tool, but ended up with several assignments I've already completed spread out over the next few months. Can you give me some advice on how to adjust the frequency of my practice tests/intensity of my study schedule on my own?

Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: MCAT reschedule due to COVID-19 (04/24 to 07/07)

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 am

I would recommend keeping any content review on your previous schedule, or only slightly spread out - and use the additional time for practice tests, QBank material, making sure you get time to work through all AAMC practice problems (including both CARS QPacks) and building MCAT-specific skills up further like reading research and interpreting data.

As far as intensity, I would definitely decrease the intensity of the next few weeks a bit - use the time to explore different sources and materials, make sure you have review sheets (like miledown) printed out and in a folder, and for a few days maybe try explaining a core MCAT concept to a friend or to a piece of paper. Like draw a diagram and explain ELISA, or what Bernouilli's principle is, or the Jakob-Monod model of prokaryotic transcription. Anything at all, really!

Over here is some more detailed advice I posted, along with a potential exercise:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2892&sid=4f00737b90 ... 51193f4113
londrejka

Post by londrejka » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Thank you! I have already completed all AAMC materials except for the sample test and full lengths 3 and 4. Do you think repeating AAMC materials would be useful when I get closer to by test date?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:17 pm

You would most likely benefit most from reviewing them in-depth, particularly passage questions: Dissect passages for all their content, not just the question relevant portions. Analyze the study design in detail, and make all possible connections from the passage. For CARS, just do a detailed, deep reading of the passage and predict what other kinds of questions could have come up about that passage.

Discrete questions may be worth redoing just for the sake of it.