studying while working advice

327summer

studying while working advice

Post by 327summer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 am

Hello!

Would anyone be able to lend some advice on how to make an effective mcat studying schedule while simultaneously balancing a part time scribing position? (scribing is 2-3 days a week, between 18-30 hrs a week)

Thank you!! :D
NS_Tutor_Alex

Re: studying while working advice

Post by NS_Tutor_Alex » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:29 am

Hi 327Summer,

Thank you for the question, you're in a challenging position but with careful planning it can definitely work out! I was managing a scribe worksite when studying for my MCAT and I've had quite a few students that were also in your position. The number one thing I found to be of utmost importance was having a full day off of work and studying every week. Having a full day to relax and square away the rest of life makes the remainder of your busy week go much smoother. It's also very important to evaluate if you can study on days that you also work. If your work shifts are 12 hours longs and you have a commute, it's probably a bad idea to try and come home and crack open your books; however, if they're 8-10 hour shifts and you have time in the mornings, getting 1.5-2 hours may be reasonable. You'll also need to figure out what works best for you when it comes to what to study during these shorter periods of time, my suggestion would be to use those hours strictly for CARS practice and review of material you have already worked through.

I hope that helps! NextStep's study plan tool is a tremendous resource but for a more personalized study schedule to fit your busy life, I'd recommend looking into tutoring options with NextStep!

Alex