Study Plan Question

rbutler

Study Plan Question

Post by rbutler » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Hello, I am a non-traditional student in a sense. I graduated undergrad in 2006. So I am having to review the content a little more than the normal student would. My study plan mixes subjects (one day chem, the next physics, the next bio etc). Since I need more review, it seems more helpful to study one subject for several days at a time rather than jumping from one subject to the other. What do you recommend? Does the study plan's strategy work for a student in my situation? Thank you! Cheers to studying!
NS_Tutor_Phil

Re: Study Plan Question

Post by NS_Tutor_Phil » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:55 pm

There is something called "ebbinghaus' curve of forgetting" that says that the longer you go between reviewing something, the more likely you are to forget it. That's one of the reasons we chop things up into smaller sections, rather than spending a week on each topic or another similar strategy. I know it seems crazy, but by alternating topics quickly, you actually tend to remember stuff better because you are doing physics once a week- makes a good chance for reviewing!
rbutler

Post by rbutler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks.
bmichel

Post by bmichel » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:33 pm

hey,
I read your post and it seems that we are in similar situations. Did you figure out how to maximize your study? I just started and have faced some difficulty keeping up.

Thanks
rbutler

Post by rbutler » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi bmichel,

I have not yet. I am trying to keep up with the study plan, but am literally like 2 weeks behind on my plan. I have been in touch with the Next Step advisors and I think I will consult them for my advice and insight. Let me know if you find any solutions.

One thing I have done is watch the content review videos in lieu of reading some of the chapters. Some of the chapters are not very helpful and I find the videos to be more beneficial.
bmichel

Post by bmichel » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Hey rbutler,

Ok. I will let you know what works for me once I find something. Let me know what they recommend please.

Thanks