CARS Timed v. Untimed

SemperFortis

CARS Timed v. Untimed

Post by SemperFortis » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 am

I have a general question about CARS practice under untimed and timed conditions. I'm currently in the infantile stages of my MCAT prep with the online course. I notice I take the better of 20 minutes (untimed) to go through a passage and answer questions, which I know must be cut in half come test day. At what point during your study schedule should you begin to start timing your passages? 2-3 months in? After a certain number of untimed passages? For the record, I'm taking the exam in Jan. 2019 so I have a good 6 months of prep ahead of me. Thanks.
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Re: CARS Timed v. Untimed

Post by NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:53 pm

SemperFortis wrote:I have a general question about CARS practice under untimed and timed conditions. I'm currently in the infantile stages of my MCAT prep with the online course. I notice I take the better of 20 minutes (untimed) to go through a passage and answer questions, which I know must be cut in half come test day. At what point during your study schedule should you begin to start timing your passages? 2-3 months in? After a certain number of untimed passages? For the record, I'm taking the exam in Jan. 2019 so I have a good 6 months of prep ahead of me. Thanks.
You should begin working on that immediately. Try to trim about a minute off of your timing each week. So if it takes you 20 minutes to do a passage now, give yourself a time limit of 19 minutes next week, 18 minutes the week after that, etc.
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com