Medical School Advice

Laurenan

Medical School Advice

Post by Laurenan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:49 am

I planned on applying for this upcoming 2021 cycle, but I got my MCAT score back, and it was not what I wanted (498). I'm not entirely sure what to do now because I was hoping to submit my application this cycle. I was thinking about retaking the MCAT in January, which might increase my chances of getting an interview at DO schools if I improve my score. Some background on my application is that I graduated undergrad with a BS in 2019 with a 3.55 GPA and started an MS program in Anatomy. I completed the first year but did not intend to go back because I can no longer afford it and because of complications involving Covid-19. However, I had a 4.0 GPA from the first year of the program. I have ~100 shadowing hours, 200 volunteer hours, and well over 500 clinical hours. Additionally, I started working full time as an EMT and have been an EMT for two years. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer, and thank you for your time.
NS_Tutor_Yuqi

Re: Medical School Advice

Post by NS_Tutor_Yuqi » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Hey Lauren,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the MCAT score that you were hoping for. Just to clarify, when you say you are thinking about applying in the 2021 cycle, do you mean that you are planning on beginning medical school in 2022?
You have really great clinical and volunteering hours so that will definitely boost your application! However, a higher MCAT score would definitely make you a more competitive applicant with both DO and MD schools. With a 498, I would probably guess that there are significant areas of content that you will need to review more in depth. If you are able to dedicate yourself to studying in the months between now and January, I think that you will have a good chance of increasing your score. If you sign up for a Blueprint tutoring plan, you will have access to regular individualized tutoring and a content studying plan that will help you prepare for a retake. However, if you have financial concerns, there are ways you can purchase used study books and find free practice tests online. Either way, it is definitely possible to improve your score if you are diligent about studying and taking practice exams in the next few months. .

I hope that helped answer your questions! Please let me know if I can give any more specific advice about the med school cycle or the MCAT.
Yuqi
NS_Tutor_Yuqi

Post by NS_Tutor_Yuqi » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Another piece of advice is looking at the average MCAT/GPAs for the schools that you are interested in. MSAR is a good resource for this (although I believe that might only be for MD schools). Alternatively, you will probably be able to find that information on schools' websites. Generally, you'll want to be between the 25th and 75th percentiles for both MCAT and GPA. If your MCAT score is below that or is on the lower end for most schools, then that means that you should strongly consider retaking before applying to maximize your chances of being admitted.
Laurenan

Post by Laurenan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Hey Yuqi,
Thank you for your response. I probably will look into retaking my MCAT sometime early next year. I was talking about the current application cycle that opened but I ended up deciding to delay my application and wait for next year.