Canadian NonTrad Course Picking for American Schools

Ss1856

Canadian NonTrad Course Picking for American Schools

Post by Ss1856 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Hi there! Thank you in advanced for taking the time to read this and for any information you can give me.

I am a nontrad student in Canada who has reapplied to university to redo courses. I have graudated in 2018 with a bachelors in biochemistry nutrition and a minor in psych. My GPA was not ideal at all (2.6) due to me just not knowing how to properly study. After finishing my degree, I have completed post-graduate studies in food safety with greater avail however the program does not give an actual GPA but an average (79%).

Having duel citizenship, I am planning to apply to majority American Schools. I have registered for organic chem, general chem, biochem, biology, and physics. My question is, since I have done many of these courses before for my degree, should I redo them and get a better mark or do possibly higher up courses within the same subject area? My local med school recommends doing other courses within the same subject and avoid redoing but I do not know how American schools view this in general.
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Canadian NonTrad Course Picking for American Schools

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:18 pm

Either decision you would have to talk about at some point, on essays or in interviews.

If you decide to take upper division courses, possibly graduate classes, you can talk about your genuine interest in the subject and that you enjoy challenging yourself. Of course, it helps if you do really well in those - and be warned, to higher level coursework benefits a lot from having internalized the fundamentals of your earlier courses.

If you decide to re-take other courses, you can talk about what you felt you did wrong the first time and why you wanted another shot at it, and talk about your diligence and desire to completely understand materials.

Both options present a great opportunity to prove yourself, and ultimately you know what your strengths are right now. Perhaps, until you have a track record of knocking out some straight-As for a quarter/semester or two, do try to repeat your undergraduate work and only then set your sights higher. That kind of patient approach may demonstrate that you are willing to learn from past mistakes, make a comprehensive long-term plan and stick to it.

Bear in mind: I'm not an academic adviser of ANY kind, and this is a little out of my wheelhouse. We do have separate medical school admissions counseling (https://nextsteptestprep.com/med-school-admissions/) that can give you far more detailed advice if you would like.