AAMC Pysch/Soc Section Bank Q24,28,77

dbflsdl0228

AAMC Pysch/Soc Section Bank Q24,28,77

Postby dbflsdl0228 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Q24: I wasn't able to differentiate the clear distinction between "sensory stimulus" and "proximal stimulus".
Could you explain the difference between these two terms and why the answer is proximal stimulus in this case?

Q28: I saw "operational span testing" in the multiple choice. I got it right after POE but still not sure about the definition of this term. Could you please explain the term and any example?

Q77: How can we determine dependent stressor is something related to isolation? I wasn't able to use POE because 3 out of 4 choices all look correct to me.
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: AAMC Pysch/Soc Section Bank Q24,28,77

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi dbflsdl0228,

I think the best way to approach Q24 is that the distinction between proximal vs. distal stimuli is important and testable for the MCAT, while no such testable distinction exists for proximal vs. sensory stimuli. It wouldn't be correct to say that "sensory stimulus" isn't a real term—it gets almost 28,000 hits on Google Scholar in legitimate scientific papers—but it's not part of the testable contrast of proximal vs. distal stimuli, making proximal stimulus the best answer for this question. To answer your question in more depth, these terms (proximal vs. sensory stimulus) overlap considerably, and honestly, in the context of this passage, it seems like they are being used interchangeably. I've seen some sources that define sensory stimuli as those that produce a behavioral change, but that doesn't seem to be universal in the scientific literature. In this context, I think it really just is the case that the best answer is the most clearly testable answer.

Operational span testing has to do with measuring working memory and the capacity of working memory in an individual. This source has more information and some classic examples.

For 77, the basic idea is that the passage (in paragraph 2) tells us that dependent stressors are negative life events that are "influenced by the individual's behavior." So we need to find an answer choice that has something specific about behavior being involved in the stressor. A and D can clearly be eliminated based on this, because they only describe mental states, with no reference to any actions or behaviors. B might be tempting, but C more clearly describes the results of actions (others being driven away). (Just to clarify, I don't think C is the clearest description possible of an action -- the passive voice in "others being driven away" is kind of vague -- but I think it is recognizably more behavior-driven than B).

Hope this helps w/ these questions, and keep up the great review!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.
dbflsdl0228

Postby dbflsdl0228 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Hello Andrew,

Sorry for late reply, but your detailed explanation always makes all the problem crystal clear. I really really x 100000 appreciate your thorough explanation! :D
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:40 am

You're very welcome, that's great to hear!!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.

Return to “AAMC Resources”