AAMC Sample FL Mapping Passages

PoincareConjecture

AAMC Sample FL Mapping Passages

Postby PoincareConjecture » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm

I really like the NS way of mapping passages, when i do that i can predict the correct choices better and almost link all the figures to tell the story its almost like CARs in a way----That is one helpful tool that you guys put out there, just saying!!! Very pleased to apply it ....How can you be efficient with time though?
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: AAMC Sample FL Mapping Passages

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi PoincareConjecture,

Thanks for that positive feedback! We're happy to hear about techniques being useful :).

Your question about timing, though, is a tougher one. The short answer to your question is to practice timing deliberately, trying to get slightly faster each time. Try doing a passage slightly faster than your optimal comfort level and see how it goes. If your accuracy is still basically on point, try to get comfortable with this new pace, and then try to push yourself some more.

As a follow-up question, do you mind me asking how long you tend to take per passage/section and what you personally feel like is your biggest challenge in terms of where you spend your time on the passage?
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.
PoincareConjecture

Postby PoincareConjecture » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Sorry this took a few days to get back, hmmm my time on passages is variable and depends; I need to time myself on a practice passage, since i can't keep a very good tab while taking a FL; But what i would say is that i often find myself running out of time on the last passage or two; Mostly in Physics/Chem and B/B; On CARs and Psych/SOC i get through on time---I will time myself on some passages and give you better response Andrew..
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 am

Hi PoincareConjecture,

I think that puts you into a relatively manageable place, if you're finding yourself short for time on the last couple passages in C/P and B/B, but not finding yourself in a position where you have no time to do them at all. I would suggest continuing to work on being mindful of your timing and trying to move a little bit quicker, and would also make the specific suggestion to see if you can identify any questions where you're spending more time on them than is helpful. Whenever you tackle a difficult question, you want to ask yourself at each stage whether you're spending your time well. For example, if you can relatively quickly eliminate 2 answers, but it will take you two minutes of hard work to determine which of the other two is right, you might be better served by simply guessing, because the time you invest in that question is going to take you away from potentially gettable points at the end of the section.

Keep practicing :)!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.

Return to “AAMC Resources”