BIO QPack Vol 1 #5

kwlp

BIO QPack Vol 1 #5

Post by kwlp » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 pm

I understand why it can't be A and D but I am having a hard time deciding between B and C. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this. thanks!

I guess I can see why C is the wrong answer because the passage talks about how the Indi develop antibody against H.pylori antigen but these antibodies rarely eradicate the infection. but I still am not sure how B answer the questions.
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: BIO QPack Vol 1 #5

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks for the question!

In this case, we're being asked what might cause cancer. Cancer is essentially inappropriate, uncontrolled cell growth following mutations. So our answer should address that in some way. Answer choice C addresses an infection that might become severe, since the immune system isn't responding to bacteria, but it doesn't touch on cell growth or mutation at all. In other words, C explains why the infection may become severe but has nothing to offer about cancer. Choice B, on the other hand, directly addresses cancer since it explains mutations happening in somatic cells. These mutations may lead to unchecked cell growth and unregulated cell proliferation.

The question is basically: "What would lead to cancer?" and our answer should directly address that, rather than anything specific to the bacteria.

I hope this helps!