CARS volume 1 Q 12

kwlp

CARS volume 1 Q 12

Post by kwlp » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:03 am

I am having trouble understanding question 12 CARS volume 1. Can someone help me explain this. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

and also I am not sure the author's attitude toward Formalist critic. is the author against? or neutral?
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: CARS volume 1 Q 12

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks for the question!

The idea here is to weigh each of the four options and evaluate which statement you think most aligns with the author's argument, tone, and point of view.

One of the main points here is that the author believes intent is less important than what's actually in the work. In other words, in comparing what the writer tried to do versus what they did do, the author is much more interested in the latter. This aligns well with the author's view and so it's the best choice.

The author seems to be defending and explaining the formalist school in this piece, so I'd assume the author is supportive of that approach to texts. Indeed, Cleanth Brooks is the author's name and he is a well known formalist critic!

I hope this helps! If you have any other specific confusion with this passage/question I'd be happy to help further. Good luck!