AAMC Section Bank P/S #73, #77, and #99

achakr1

AAMC Section Bank P/S #73, #77, and #99

Post by achakr1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:53 pm

73: Hello, I selected D for this question and was wondering why C is correct. Specifically, could you explain how negative priming relates to AD and memory? I thought that negative priming would be more based on implicit memory, which seems largely preserved in AD based on my studying. Thanks!

77: I selected B incorrectly because the passage seemed to imply that excessive reassurance seeking leads to interpersonal issues that are dependent stressors. Could you explain the error in my logic? Thanks!

99: I understand why D is correct, but why is A incorrect? This case seems to meet the definition for intragenerational mobility. On test day, what should we look for to separate these two answers? Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Nancy

Re: AAMC Section Bank P/S #73, #77, and #99

Post by NS_Tutor_Nancy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:13 am

Hi!

73: So negative priming is the idea that the subject has been asked to ignore a stimulus, but is then asked to attend to that stimulus. The processing of this stimulus right after ignoring it is somewhat impaired. You are correct that this is more related to implicit memory. In Alzheimer's Disease, while it is mainly associated with a decline in explicit memory, some types of implicit memory are also impacted and AD patients would usually be expected not to perform as well on a negative priming task as individuals without AD. This is a tough question as it requires some outside knowledge and AD performance on negative priming tasks can also be somewhat debated if you look into the literature.

77: I have used this passage with students before and this question is particularly tricky as I would argue that both B and C are correct, they are two possible dependent stressors that could occur as a result of an individual's need for reassurance.

99: This is a hard one as the definitions of intragenerational mobility and vertical mobility come pretty close to overlapping, but here it is about picking the best answer. Intragenerational mobility refers to movement within the individual's own lifespan/generation and specifically is usually used to indicate movement from one social class to another. It is somewhat more extreme than vertical mobility, exemplified here as going from a high paying to a lower paying job. A better example of intragenerational mobility would be if the individual was born into a single parent home where they had to work odd jobs to help contribute, but later in life they were able to get an education, get a job, and move up to being a CEO/upper class. It's splitting hairs a little bit, but vertical ends up being the better answer.

I hope this helps!