Chirality

stravisjones

Chirality

Post by stravisjones » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:10 pm

In the following molecule - a central carbon (let's call it C') attached to a methyl group, an -OH group, a hydrogen, and a benzene ring - is the carbon in the benzene ring connected to C' chiral? The Isomers two video says it is, but I thought that the resonance of the bonds in the benzene means that the two ring connections are identical substituents.
stravisjones

Re: Chirality

Post by stravisjones » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Anybody?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Chirality

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:52 pm

Hey there. I'm having a bit of trouble finding where in the video this is said. Could you give me a timestamp or section?
stravisjones wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:10 pm
In the following molecule - a central carbon (let's call it C') attached to a methyl group, an -OH group, a hydrogen, and a benzene ring - is the carbon in the benzene ring connected to C' chiral? The Isomers two video says it is, but I thought that the resonance of the bonds in the benzene means that the two ring connections are identical substituents.
A carbon in unsubstituted benzene would never be a stereocenter. A carbon in poly-substituted benzene may well be a stereocenter (say o-bromobenzoic acid), and therefore the molecule itself would be chiral.