Verbal, Quantitative, and Research Methods- Ch4 passage 1 Question 1

vgp1993

Verbal, Quantitative, and Research Methods- Ch4 passage 1 Question 1

Postby vgp1993 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:13 pm

The question says, "The assertion that historians draw a straight line from Ben Franklin to the Space Race is:"

I was wondering if I could get a better explanation for why the answer to this question would be B, "Supported by citations in the passage."

While it's true that the author of the passage makes those connections to other innovators, there's no mention of any specific historian making drawing those lines, so I chose C, "possible but not supported by direct citations in the passage." The author even says, "Historians may draw a straight line..."

Is this a mistake?

Thanks
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Verbal, Quantitative, and Research Methods- Ch4 passage 1 Question 1

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi vgp1993,

Thanks for the excellent question! I see what you mean. The idea for this question is that Fulton, Whitney, Morse, Edison, and Ford are being cited as examples of scientists connecting Franklin to the Space Race, so those are the "specific citations" mentioned in the question. But I do see how there can be a difference between "example" and "citation" and how the use of the word "may" might be confusing. I've made a note of this for our team to review for future editions.

Thanks for the question, best of luck studying, and Happy New Year!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.
vgp1993

Re: Verbal, Quantitative, and Research Methods- Ch4 passage 1 Question 1

Postby vgp1993 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I guess what was throwing me off the most was the use of "Historians" and the question structure it itself seemingly saying, "The author says historians make this connection- does he or she give evidence to support this?" I see how the author specifically cites inventors and scientists in order to draw the lines, but the author doesn't specifically cite historians who also make these connections, and that is why I answered it C.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Return to “Post your questions here about Next Step's MCAT books”