CARS 108 Section 2

Lionroar

CARS 108 Section 2

Postby Lionroar » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 am

Hi. In the CARS 108 book, section two, question 48, the correct choice was C. I am a bit confused, because while the question asks about a male Mexican American, which (if I understand correctly) refers to an American descendant of Mexican immigrants, the term Mestizo refers to a male of "mixed parentage" (based on the last paragraph in the passage: "the translation of mestiza is 'a woman of mixed parentage'"). I thought A was more appropriate, since the author implies that "Chicano" refers Mexicans living in the US (in the first paragraph, the author writes the term "[suggested] that their identity was lost living in the U.S. rather than Mexico"). I wasn't sure whether the question wanted me to make the distinction between an American whose parents are both Mexican (Chicano) versus a child whose parentage is mixed (mestizo), because I felt, based on prior experience with CARS passages, that that is a kind of distinction the test-writers would have expected me to make. Thank you very much.
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: CARS 108 Section 2

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi Lionroar,

Excellent question. The key thing to note about this question is that it is primarily about how Anzaldúa would use the term, so we want to focus on that part of the passage. I think there are two key pieces of evidence here: (1) the quotation that "The continual intermarriage between Mexican and American Indians and Spaniards formed an even greater mestizaje” (Anzaldúa's words) and (2) the statement that "The translation of mestiza is “a woman of mixed parentage” (particularly Spanish and Native American), but for Anzaldúa the term mixed extends to the many “border crossings” she encountered in her daily life...". I bolded the part about how for Anzaldúa the term extends to a broader context. You're absolutely right that the passage does expect you to be very careful about how terms are defined, but it's also key to look in the right place based on what the question is specifically asking.

Hope this is helpful, & best of luck!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.

Return to “Post your questions here about Next Step's MCAT books”