For ChemPhys SP page 156 question 40

Lionroar

For ChemPhys SP page 156 question 40

Postby Lionroar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:51 am

Hello,

For this question, I am not sure I understand what the correct answer choice, C, is actually saying. After seeing the explanation in the back, I am still not clear on why polarized light waves are characterized by the E fields oscillating along the same axis - isn't that true of unpolarized light as well? Thank you very much.
Lionroar

Re: For ChemPhys SP page 156 question 40

Postby Lionroar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:37 pm

While I am at it, I also don't understand why MnO4- is a strong oxidizing agent (this is relavent to question 44 of the same section, on page 159). Thank you.
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: For ChemPhys SP page 156 question 40

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi Lionroar,

Re: light, you're correct that in any given wave of light, the E field will oscillate along a consistent axis that is perpendicular to the B field. The issue is what happens when we have many waves of light within a beam. In nonpolarized light, the direction of the E field in different light waves will vary randomly, whereas in polarized light, all of the E fields will oscillate in the same direction. The images at this discussion on StackExchange may help you visualize this.

Re: MnO4-, to the best of my understanding, the reason why it's a strong oxidizing agent is because the oxidation state of Mn is so high (+7). This, in combination with the fact that it has 4 oxygens, means that it has lots of different ways to become reduced (thereby oxidizing other compounds).

Hope this helps & best of luck!
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.

Return to “Post your questions here about Next Step's MCAT books”