CARS SP Chapter 5 Section 3

Lionroar

CARS SP Chapter 5 Section 3

Post by Lionroar » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:01 am

I had a few questions about this CARS section:

In question 6, the correct answer is A, since the quote in context serves to introduce interesting aspects of Bernini's David. However, I don't understand why B is incorrect, since in the previous paragraph the author speaks about how Bernini was a break from Michaelangelo because he embraced Baroque.

In question 16, the correct answer to this "assumption" type of question is D. However, the author doesn't assume that "the reader allows for a systematic approach", rather he says it outright, which is why I chose a different answer choice. I have found these types of questions to be inconsistent. Sometimes, an answer choice that was said explicitly in the passage is the incorrect one, because it wasn't an assumption, rather a stated conclusion (for example, question 36, answer choice D in this section, as well as question 8 in the CARS section of full-length #7), while in this case, it turns out that something the author says explicitly IS the assumption the question is asking for. Is there a way to actually know when it is one way or the other?

In question 45, the correct answer is B - "most people will tend to take the path of least resistance". The explanation says that "an assumption is unstated". However, B was explicitly stated in paragraph 6 - "the widespread mental indolence, so prevalent in society, proves this to be only too true". If so, why is B better than D?

Thank you!
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: CARS SP Chapter 5 Section 3

Post by NS_Tutor_Andrew » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi Lionroar,

Great questions, I'll reply one by one.

Q6: B is a tempting answer b/c the final paragraph does talk about how emotionally expressive Bernini's David is, but that doesn't correspond to the specific phrase is "no longer self-contained". Going back to the passage, it becomes clear that by "self-contained", the author is discussing the structural aspects of how the sculpture fits into space, not emotions. So the correct answer choice will either be (1) something like "to emphasize the groundbreaking aspects of how Bernini's David fits into and relates to the space around it" or (2) something very generic like answer choice A. None of the answer choices correspond to possibility (1), so answer choice A is the best fit -- even though it's very generic and to be honest rather boring, there's nothing wrong with it, whereas there are problems with the other choices, so that makes A best.

Q16: This question seems to have two sub-parts -- the part about Q16 in particular and the more general advice about questions involving assumptions. As far as this question in particular goes, the most important thing to keep in mind is that all of the other answer choices are really iffy, and your task is always to pick the best answer. In general, if you have an answer choice that is supported directly by the passage, go for it. We still do have a few questions that try to trick you about the difference between an assumption or a statement, but that pattern doesn't seem very representative of AAMC material, so questions like that will be removed or rewritten in our next round of revision. The takeaway: D has direct passage support and the other answers aren't compelling.

Q45: Interesting that this one involved a discussion of assumptions too! The wording "takes for granted" in this question really does push you into looking for something that's not actually stated. The idea here is that we're told that condemning takes less mental energy than thinking and that indolence (i.e., intellectual slowness) is widespread -- but we're not exactly told that most people take the path of least resistance. That's a little additional bit of info we have to add in order to logically connect those two assertions, but it's not precisely stated. D is more like a direct restatement of the final paragraph, and worse, it goes beyond it to specify not just that anarchism forces people to think, but to confront difficult truths. I definitely see how this is a difficult choice, though.

I hope these answers have helped! Thanks for the great questions. We do constantly review and improve our materials, so I will definitely look into whether we can clarify the questions and/or explanations to avoid any traps that are not helpful training exercises.
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.