CARS SP Chapter 5 Section 2

Lionroar

CARS SP Chapter 5 Section 2

Postby Lionroar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 pm

I took this full-length CARS the other day, and had some questions about the answer explanations after doing my LLJ:

Page 234 question 17:

I don’t understand why Roman numeral II is false. If the author is asserting that “turning to dance as a shortcut is no shortcut at all”, then she is saying that using dance to teach sculpting does not work. The example in the question provided evidence that it does work – doesn’t that refute the author’s claim?

Page 247 question 34:

I do not understand the answer to this one. D seems to be the much more logical inference: if the Paiutes attacked those among them who turned to the new ways, then that would suggest that the attackers felt secure enough to do so. It is unlikely that the minority within a community would attack the majority, when the latter could easily overwhelm the former. On the other hand, for B to be correct, according to the explanation, one would have to assume that if instructing children was seen as the duty of all tribe members, then indeed the majority of tribe members were in fact instructing children, which is a far more tenuous assumption to make.

Page 253 question 42:

Why would D weaken the author’s claim? Doesn’t he claim that mistakes are a necessary component of the creative process? However destructive they are, that is the price of creativity. D never says that the mistakes are destructive to the creative process, only that they are a significant setback. But the author says in the fourth paragraph “Ninety nine mistakes may be problems that frustrate and hinder, but it’s the one-hundredth that lets true genius glow”. I think C would be the more correct answer, since it calls into question an assumption which is important for the author’s evidence from nature: that “life opens itself up to new…combinations…Such combinations can also lead to failure”. But if the cell spends a vast amount of time and effort controlling the recombinations, then this example of creativity in nature wouldn’t be such a strong argument for creativity in adults.

Page 254 question 45:

I understand why A is a possible choice, but isn’t B the better one? In other words, it is true that the author’s argument would only be weakened only with regards to the type of recombination – but that is his central argument. His argument is that “creativity…springs from a willingness…to throw together ideas in new recombinations” (quoting the Main Idea on page 253), while the methodical approach does not lead to creativity. Wouldn’t a study demonstrating that being methodical leads to serendipitous discoveries disprove that central argument?
NS_Tutor_Andrew
Site Admin

Re: CARS SP Chapter 5 Section 2

Postby NS_Tutor_Andrew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Lionroar,

Thanks for the excellent questions! Let me respond one by one.

Q17: The issue with RN II is that the question stem doesn't really allow us to determine whether the introduction of dance classes was viewed as a "shortcut," which makes it difficult to use this data point to assess the author's statement one way or the other in light of this information.

Q34: You're absolutely right to recognize that this choice boils down to picking the possibility that requires the fewest extra assumptions. The reason why B is the right answer has to do with the information given to you in paragraph 2, especially the idea that proper instruction in the traditional ways was the "sacred duty" of every member of the tribe. While your point is taken that it is of course possible for people to neglect their responsibilities—even sacred ones—it's not much of a stretch to think that such deviations are exceptions. We're also told that this created a "core of conservatism," which helps support this idea. In contrast, although your reasoning with D is logical, it's not directly supported by the passage.

Q42: So, the idea with this question is the author talks about mistakes that frustrate and hinder, but the implication is that those mistakes must not be tremendously destructive in order to foster the creative process. In contrast, C addresses a side point rather than the author's main claim about human creativity. That said, I do see where you're coming from, and I think this question could be improved -- we'll make a note of this for future revisions.

Q45: What's going on here is that A is the more specific choice. For B, the issue boils down to identifying what the author's central argument is. It's encapsulated in the first sentence of the second paragraph: the idea that "creativity's wellsprings are the twin engine of recombination and the happy mistake". The author then develops a sub-argument about conscious versus unconscious methods of recombination, which is what Q45 calls into question. Watch out for this kind of trap! Another way this kind of trick shows up is in questions that ask about the author's central claim, and then have an incorrect answer choice that is a true statement about a sub-point.

Hope this is helpful! Keep up the thoughtful review and analysis, and please feel free to follow up with any further questions.
Andrew D.
Content Manager, Next Step Test Prep.

Return to “Post your questions here about Next Step's MCAT books”