CARS Section 7, Passage 1, Question 2.

madim

CARS Section 7, Passage 1, Question 2.

Postby madim » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm

I’m confused why the answer is not B: All three elements must be equally balanced for successful treatment. The passage stated “The success of your preventative activities is governed by three elements that we all need to balance simultaneously in order to have successful public health interventions”.

I understand why D is right but I’m not sure why B is wrong. How would I know to eliminate B so D would be the best answer?

Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: CARS Section 7, Passage 1, Question 2.

Postby NS_Tutor_Will » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 am

Hi Madim,

Can you double check the question that you're asking about? I went to the CARS section of the 7th FL and and it was a question about determining good taste in writing. It seems like you are asking about a different question!

Thanks!
Will
madim

Postby madim » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 am

Hi Will,

I was referring to the MCAT Verbal: 108 CARS Passages Textbook. Sorry for the confusion!
NS_Tutor_Will

Postby NS_Tutor_Will » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:27 am

Okay, now I see! Sorry about that.

So for this question, there's a degree of subtlety in why B is an incorrect answer choice. The author certainly argues that we need to find balance between those three elements. As you quoted, the author states: "The success of your preventative activities is governed by three elements that we all need to balance simultaneously in order to have successful public health interventions." Later on, she or he says "Problems in any of these three areas will detract from the success of your activities" and one must "strike a balance among the three elements." In other words, without considering all of the elements, you are bound to fail in your public health intervention.

That said, nowhere does the author state that the balance needs to be equally balanced, just that all three factors need to be considered. If one is ignored completely, failure will ensue, but by no means does that imply that an equal balance needs to be struck.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Return to “Post your questions here about Next Step's MCAT books”