Psychology book Passage question #3

SungHoonPark97

Psychology book Passage question #3

Post by SungHoonPark97 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Question 3 (attached 1st below) asked which disorder could lead to problems with aggression via the temporal lobe.

In the passage, it stated that low activity in the amygdala region of the temporal lobe results in antisocial personality disorder and perhaps lack of feeling aversive behaviors such as fear (2nd attachment)

Therefore, I believed that the answer would be Schizoid disorder where the patient is indifference to social relationships, with a limited range of emotional expression and experience (which fits the description of the passage fairly well).

However, the answer choice said the correct answer choice was epilepsy aka seizure disorder, but does not really give any reason for why. It simply states "Epilepsy can affect the temporal lobe," which was not mentioned in the passage at all (3rd attachment).

Could you give me a better reasoning on why epilepsy is more correct than Schizoid disorder?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 5.31.13 PM.png
(14.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 5.32.53 PM.png
(43.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 5.31.03 PM.png
(19.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Re: Psychology book Passage question #3

Post by NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:48 pm

SungHoonPark97 wrote:Question 3 (attached 1st below) asked which disorder could lead to problems with aggression via the temporal lobe.

In the passage, it stated that low activity in the amygdala region of the temporal lobe results in antisocial personality disorder and perhaps lack of feeling aversive behaviors such as fear (2nd attachment)

Therefore, I believed that the answer would be Schizoid disorder where the patient is indifference to social relationships, with a limited range of emotional expression and experience (which fits the description of the passage fairly well).

However, the answer choice said the correct answer choice was epilepsy aka seizure disorder, but does not really give any reason for why. It simply states "Epilepsy can affect the temporal lobe," which was not mentioned in the passage at all (3rd attachment).

Could you give me a better reasoning on why epilepsy is more correct than Schizoid disorder?
Please specify the chapter and page you're looking at.
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com
SungHoonPark97

Post by SungHoonPark97 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm sorry I forgot to add this. It''s Ch. 1 page 21 question 3
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Post by NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 pm

SungHoonPark97 wrote:Question 3 (attached 1st below) asked which disorder could lead to problems with aggression via the temporal lobe.

Schizoid disorder does not typically involve aggression, and does not typically affect the temporal lobe specifically.
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com