Ch 6 of Biology Book - Table on page 169

SungHoonPark97

Ch 6 of Biology Book - Table on page 169

Post by SungHoonPark97 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:22 pm

On page 169 of the biology book, there's a table of parts of the brain and their function.

In the table, there are several definitions/words that the chapter never goes over throughout the chapter in the diagram (examples: hindbrain, midbrain, inferior colliculus, hippothalamus, etc.). Where can I find more information about these?

Also, is there a picture to go along with the table to help understand the material? I tried looking some up on the internet, but I'm still confused on which part goes where since most of the internet ones are very complicated.
NS_Tutor_Phil

Re: Ch 6 of Biology Book - Table on page 169

Post by NS_Tutor_Phil » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Hey SungHoonPark97,
Good question! The MCAT asks about this stuff most in the Psych/Sociology section, so we put that information there. I know, its really more bio, but the psych passages on the MCAT have a ton of neurology questions. You can find a good table with that info on page 11 and 12 of the psych book. Hope that helps.
SungHoonPark97

Post by SungHoonPark97 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Hello Mr. Phil,

I have read the first chapter of the Psy/Soc textbook, and it was actually exactly the same as the Nervous System chapter of the Biology textbook, meaning I could not find a good diagram/picture of the brain labelling all the parts of the brain in Table 3 nor could I find more detail on these parts.
Is there any other way I could find a good picture/more details?

Thank you.
NS_Tutor_Katelyn

Post by NS_Tutor_Katelyn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:20 pm

SungHoonPark97 wrote:Hello Mr. Phil,

I have read the first chapter of the Psy/Soc textbook, and it was actually exactly the same as the Nervous System chapter of the Biology textbook, meaning I could not find a good diagram/picture of the brain labelling all the parts of the brain in Table 3 nor could I find more detail on these parts.
Is there any other way I could find a good picture/more details?

Thank you.
If you're looking for the definitions or functions of all the different brain areas, those are laid out in table 3. Figure 9 right above shows the location of some of the major areas. We don't have a figure (as far as I know) in the content showing the location of every brain area because neuroanatomy isn't typically tested on the MCAT beyond the big strokes.

-Kate
Katelyn Sawyer
Senior Tutor
katelyn@nextsteptestprep.com