Physics, Electricity Passage

megan10

Physics, Electricity Passage

Post by megan10 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi,

I have a question regarding Physics Chapter 6 passage, q. 6

In the passage it states "It has a resting magnetic field of approximately 10^-12 T"(p.134). In the last step of the answer, it is using 10^-12T and using the conversion factor to convert it from T to Gauss.

I did find the previous entry on this forum that shows the corrected answer as being 2x10^-19 G/neuron. This works, if you use 10^-12T.

I'm just confused on the link between the passage stating it is in G, and the answer automatically using it as T.

Thanks in advance for clarification.

Megan
NS_Tutor_Alex

Re: Physics, Electricity Passage

Post by NS_Tutor_Alex » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi megan10,

Thank you for the question! The key to making the T and Gauss connection starts with looking at the answer choices as their units are in G. There is a 'note' at the bottom of the passage that shows the conversion factor between T and G. Because we aren't given an equation that will calculate Gauss directly from the relevant values we are given in the passage, we need to utilize some conversion factor between G and a unit that we are able to calculate (i.e. T). Knowing our equations and units helps out tremendously here and so we can pull the necessary values straight from the passage to find the field strength.

I hope that helps, good luck with your MCAT prep!